History

From the imperial age to the 21st century

The Aurelian Walls, which are few meters from Casa Caudì, are the largest monument in Rome, built between 271 and 273 by the emperor Aurelian to protect Rome, the capital of the empire, from the incursions of the Germanic.
But the district of San Lorenzo was born in the late 1800s close to via Tiburtina with the onset of peripheral industrial activities that have now disappeared (the Birra Roma factory, the Vetreria Sciarra, the Pastificio Cerere, the Pizzamiglio ice factory, the Pharmaceutical Factory in via dei Salentini, the Wood Factory in via degli Enotri; the Antica Fabbrica di Cioccolata SAID), many of which are now converted in design spaces.
The development of craft activities was also linked to the Verano Monumental Cemetery.
A first transformation takes place with the building of the University and with its expansion.
At the end of 1920, a recovery plan was launched: the Ferrovie Statali built a small nucleus of houses called “Quieta Domus” and the Risorgente Cooperative built a lots of buildings. At the same time some small “Coppedè style” villas were built in Via dei Ramni, designed by E. Del Fa: Casa Caudì is one of these.
On July 19, 1943 the neighborhood was hit hard by bombing. Around 3000 people were killed and over 11000 were injured; many buildings were destroyed and some still has the marks of that tragic event.
The neighborhood is also characterized by the presence of archaeological finds and historical monuments: the Aurelian Walls, Porta Valeria, Largo Talamo, the Villa Gentili Dominici, the Basilica of San Lorenzo (dating back to the Constantinian era), the Verano Monumental Cemetery, which first nucleus was designed by Valadier in 1911/1913.
The current park dedicated to the Fallen of 19 July 1943 was the crossroads of the ancient Via Valeria and Collatina and in 1876 it was crossed by the Rome-Tivoli railway.
Today, many university students and artists find accommodation in the neighborhood.